This week we take a trip to the Steel City to cheer on the Pittsburgh Steelers. If you’ve ever spoken to anyone from the Pittsburgh area, then you’ve already heard of Primanti Bros. This sandwich shop prides themselves with topping their “Almost Famous” sandwiches with coleslaw, fries, and tomatoes. In my opinion, any sandwich that includes that combination can’t be bad. Unfortunately, they only have locations in Pittsburgh and for some reason Fort Lauderdale, Florida so you’re probably not stopping in to a location today. We’re here to help. Our recipe below will let you bring the “Almost Famous” sandwich to the comfort of your own home so you can chow down right on Gameday, or every other day.
- 2 Slices of bread (Soft Italian preferred – not common in the bedroom but great in the kitchen)
- 28 oz bag of frozen French fries
- Vine Ripe Tomatoes (Sliced thin)
- 1 – 2 pounds of pastrami (feel free to switch out for Roast Beef, Corn Beef, Turkey, etc.)
- 2 – 4 slices of provolone
- 1 bag of tri-color coleslaw mix
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- To make Cole Slaw: Combine the cole slaw mix, sugar, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and celery seed in a bowl. Let sit 1 – 4 hours.
- Follow Cooking Instructions on bag for French Fries.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Stack meat as you would put on the sandwich and top with two slices of provolone cheese. Place meat pile in skillet and cover, cooking on medium heat for 10 minutes (or until cheese melts).
Make the sandwich:
- Slice of Bread
- Heated Meat and Cheese
- 2 Slices of Tomatoes
- Handful of Fries
- Top With Cole Slaw
- Slice of Bread