Growing up in a New York Italian household, our Sunday game days consisted of one very important meal: Meatballs and gravy. As long as I can remember, every Sunday I would wake up to the house smelling of beautiful garlic. Mom has the pot of marinara (pronounced madinad) on the stove cooking for hours. Too appetizing to wait, I’d sneak into the kitchen and dip bread in the sauce just to get a taste, only to be yelled at from the other room:
“Oh, you gavone! keepa yo filthy hands outta my pot”
“Oh, ma I’m stahvin ova heya, fughetaboutit”
Eventually the smell becomes too appealing for anyone to hold out any longer so we’d have dinner at an extremely early 3 o’clock. A tradition that beautiful is only fitting for this week’s Game Day recipe, as we head up to New York (Jersey) to root for the Jets or Giants.
But it’s game day. You jabroneys can’t be walking up to the tailgate with a bowl of pasta. It is Jersey after all so you need at least one hand free to fist pump or wrap around your goomada. Instead, we’re going to show you how to make a Meatball Hero. We’re certainly not going to use any of that fughesi sauce you buy in the jar either. We’re showing you the way momma used to make it.
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Sliced Thin
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- One 29 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Dash of Sugar
- 3 Basil leaves torn into pieces
- In large skillet, sauté the garlic and oil over medium heat until golden.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir in basil.
- Bring to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup plain breadcrumb
- 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 3 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Fresh Flat – leaf parsley
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together.
- Dampen your hands with water and shape mixture into balls, about 2 inches is good.
- Bake meatballs at 350 degrees, turning until brown on all sides.
Making the Hero:
- Cut Italian Bread open and put 3 – 4 meatballs inside.
- Cover meatballs with sauce
- Top with parmesan or mozzarella
Categories: Diet Starts Tomorrow