Christmas is this Tuesday and while there are no teams playing in the NFL, we still get a Monday and Tuesday off, and that’s cause enough to celebrate. For many, this wonderful time of the year may be filled with the joy of visiting family and showering your loved ones with gifts. For some, it may be filled with an onslaught of questions as to why your love life is so weak and why you’re still single. There will also for sure be the constant reminder that you need to eat healthier and quit drinking. But they’re wrong. Your expertise in food and booze makes you well equipped to provide the main course this holiday and give your family a meal they’ll never forget….well, that depends on how much of it they eat.
Those of you who watch Always Sunny in Philadelphia may already know Rum Ham as the perfect party meal that keeps you both fed and drunk. As appetizing as a ham soaked in rum sounds, we decided to put our own Office Jockey’s twist on the infamous dish and add Coca-Cola (I guess technically it’s a Rum and Coke ham then). Regardless, the combination of sweet rum and coke mixed with the ham provide a burst of flavor that is unmatched. Believe it or not, after a few slices you’ll have a decent buzz, too. Sorry Mom and Dad, we’ll quit drinking next year. This year, we’re getting hammered.
Ingredients (this recipe is for half a ham, if cooking a full ham double everything)
- 1 cooked Ham
- 2 liter of Coca-Cola
- 750 ml of Captain Morgan Rum
- 3/4 cup of molasses
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 2 cups of water
- In a bowl, mix the Coca-Cola, the rum, 1 cup of brown sugar, water, and the molasses. Stir till completely mixed. It will smell bad, just keep mixing.
- Puncture ham and place the ham in a small cooler or large freezer bag. Cover Ham with the rum marinade. Place cooler in fridge or in a cool place and let sit for 12 hours. If ham not completely covered then make sure to flip about halfway through.
- After the 12 hours, remove ham from cooler and place on oven safe baking dish. Take the remaining brown sugar and rub all over the ham.
- Empty the marinade from the cooler into a pot and bring to a boil. Use this to baste the ham as it bakes.
- In oven, bake ham at 350 degrees for about 20 – 30 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 140 degrees. During this time, make sure to brush the marinade on the ham every 5 minutes (if you don’t have a brush then spoon some all over the ham). This will give the ham that beautiful glaze.
- Once ham has reached the right temperature, remove from oven, slice up and serve to your family. Remember folks, eat responsibly.
Categories: Diet Starts Tomorrow